Saturday, February 5, 2011

Arts & Crafts Day

A grey, drizzly day is the perfect time to pull out the paints and do some crafting! One project I've been meaning to get around to is making some pretty birdhouses for the feathered friends in our yard. We're blessed to have many regulars - two pairs of cardinals who are constantly flitting around, showing off their amazing colors, and a mockingbird who is a complete ham, to mention a few. I love the little mockingbird especially. He seems to realize that I'm a fan of his, and he and I have little talks every time he's out and about. I love watching the little guy puff up or stretch his wings, and listening to and watching him mimic the rest of the birds is one of my very favorite things.

The birdhouses are an especially timely project, though, because we've realized we need to do a bit of trimming outside. We are lucky to have several varieties of huge hollies surrounding the house, and oh my, they are gorgeous. I love comparing their foliage and berries, which vary a great deal between types! Unfortuantely, some of the branches are pushing up against the house, and that's not good for the plants or our home, so a haircut is in order. These trees are the favorite roost of many of the birds in our yard, though, so I'm hoping to get the birdhouses out soon to attract them away from areas we need to work on. I don't want to disurb anyone, especially in spring when they'll be nesting!

I started painting my first one this afternoon, and I've come to a point where I have to let it dry a bit before I can continue. Here's the progress I've made so far:







I like it so far! I wanted something rather whimsical. I can't wait to finish it up and put the sealant on! Hopefully my feathered friends will like it too. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.