Friday, February 4, 2011

Birthday Time!


Today is my birthday!

I am not one of those people who hates birthdays, or hates getting older. My mother has always said I am an old soul, and perhaps that's part of the reason the idea of aging doesn't bother me. Personally, I love the idea that I've gained another year of wisdom and experience, and hopefully many happy memories to treasure! Every single minute of life is a gift, and a birthday is an opportunity to celebrate that. How lucky!

I had a wonderful idea last year, on my 28th birthday. I had acquired a journal featuring one of Ando Hiroshige's gorgeous paintings (he is one of my all-time favorite artists), and I didn't know what to do with it. I'd bought it on a whim - I already have a lovely little daily journal - but I knew that it and I were meant to be. Well, the morning of my birthday inspiration struck. I decided to start a birthday journal, which I would write in every February 4th and chronicle my year as well as my hopes and dreams for the coming one. It truly is one of the best ideas I've ever had! All this week I've looked forward to reading last year's entry and making 2011's. It was fun to revisit my thoughts, feelings and goals from 2010, and made writing the new entry even more enjoyable. It's like a little time capsule, in a way! I highly recommend that you start your own - you won't regret it!



I don't know about you, but I really like simple celebrations on my own birthday. This afternoon, I'm alone in the house with the cats and dogs curled up at my feet, and I'm having a steaming cup of tea as I write this. It's good to have quiet, reflective time in general, but I especially like it on this particular day. Tonight I will have a special dinner with my husband, and my brother will be by soon with a present and homemade cake - his first attempt! I am truly looking forward to it. But this time spent writing in my journal, reflecting on the past year and thinking about all the possibilities ahead of me is a really happy time that I wouldn't trade for the world! Spending time with the ones you love and thinking of all the good things in your life - what more can a girl ask for?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.