Friday, February 11, 2011

Painting the Kitchen: Step One, Color Choices

Ever since we bought the house, I've known that I would need to paint the kitchen, and for two good reasons. First, the house has previously been painted in all matte, flat paint, and it is not a good or practical thing in a kitchen! Secondly, I utterly hate the color. It's a dusty blue, and it does nothing for the space. I'm not a fan of blue in kitchens in general (not lively enough for such a busy space!), but especially in this kitchen it seems to make it very dim.

My husband and I spend a lot of time in the kitchen - certainly many, if not most, people feel that the kitchen is the hub and heart of the home. We enter and leave through it every day, cook, eat, chat, and play there. To me, it 's a creative space as well, because I love coming up with new recipes and I always seem to do my best thinking when I'm stirring a pot or waiting for the water to boil for tea.

So my criteria for the new paint job is that is has to be bright, cheerful and clean looking. My color inspiration? Check it out:





Eggs!

Who doesn't love eggs? They're delicious, nutritious, and yes, definitely beautiful. They epitomize a cheerful morning to me. Seeing those sunny yellow yolks and perfectly white whites is one of the prettiest things in the world! And personally, breakfast is one of our favorite meals. I love having eggs, bacon, biscuits and coffee with Q - we always have the best conversations during a langorious breakfast or brunch. Not only that, but eggs are wonderfully symbolic of fertility, and the color yellow is a lucky one in many cultures. Perhaps the colors and symbolism will further get that creativity flowing! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.